More example applications, enhancements to the Fly command line and more. This is what's new on Fly in November 2020.
We've been focussing on getting more example applications for Fly into your hands. Each guide is complete with a walkthrough of how they were put together so you can see the power of Fly in action. Or you can hop straight to the Github repositories for each and use the files there to deploy immediately. There are guides for:
- Gogs - the standalone Git server
- MQTT and Mosquitto messaging
- MinIO's S3 compatible object storage
- Node-RED's web-based flow programming
- Redis with TLS support
- Redis without TLS
One thing this set of Guides do is make use of the - currently in preview - persistent Volumes support for Fly apps, aka writable disk space. They are used here for everything from database persistence and data storage, to preserving state in programming environments and queuing up messages. And more example applications are on the way.
We've added an
import command to
fly secrets to let you import secrets in bulk into an app. Just create a "key=value" file of settings and pipe it into
fly secrets import and they will be transferred to the app in one block. As an added bonus, you can create multiline secrets by surrounding that value in two pairs of three double quotes:
key="""This is an example of a multiline value."""
There's a whole bunch of other enhancements and bug fixes in the Fly CLI. More options in the
fly list apps command to help filter and sort through your applications. More JSON output to assist developers building automation. The Deno builtin now supports a Version setting which defaults to 1.5.4; as newer Deno release appear it makes it easier to either pin to an older version or track the latest developments. Read the full changelog below for more details.
This is the Fly Changelog where we list all significant changes to the Fly platform, tooling, and websites. You can also use the RSS feed of just changelog posts available on fly.io/changelog.xml or consult our dedicated ChangeLog page with all the recent updates.
- Virtual machines: Upgraded to Firecracker v0.23.
- Improved handling of the connections being shutdown during restarts.
- Improved counting of connections/actions to prevent restarts causing tasks to prematurely end.
- Fixes for slow downloads triggering timeouts.
- Improved isolation of application's context and connections.
- New guides in the Example Applications.
flyctl: Version 0.0.151 released
- Deno builtin now supports Version as a setting, the default is now 1.5.4.
- Crash logs now show the previous 30 lines of log
list appsnow shows humanized time (add -e/--exact for precise time)
list appsnow sorted by name (use --sort created to sort by creation date)
- Removed black text from titles (User contribution: thanks @fornwall).
- Fixes for internal port handling in init.
flyctl: Version 0.0.150 released
- Removed logs deduplicator (no longer needed).
flyctl: Version 0.0.149 released
- Fixed fly dash [metrics] command.
flyctl: Version 0.0.148 released
- Improved image resolution for deployment.
flyctl: Version 0.0.147 released
- Added secrets import (from stdin) and multiline secrets import.
- Fixed no change in secrets false error.
flyctl: Version 0.0.146 released
- Added progress spinner to resume.
- Show the initial region of a new app when running
- improved error handling when API server is not available.