Amazon Simple Storage Service, or S3 for short, is an ever-expanding bucket to store your data. Its many benefits are eclipsed only by its myriad uses. It can now be served from the Fly.io Application Delivery Network. Let's get into those benefits and uses, then see why S3 and Fly are a great match.
The uses for S3 might seem simple; it's cloud-data storage, after all. However, innovations in application development make S3 alluring for more than just basic storage. Let's list:
- Storing Static Assets: Store user-submitted content, uploads.
- Logging: The destination for all the data that you accumulate when running analytics on your systems or users.
- Backups and Disaster Recovery: Incase of the unspeakable, you'll want a safe place to store large backups.
- "Serverless" Applications: We've written about how you can use Amazon S3 in conjunction with AWS Lambda to host serverless apps. You can use S3 to host your robust client-side framework, like Angular, then use Lambda to host specific, isolated, often compute-intensive functions; it's an efficient and organized way to build out web applications, when done correctly!
That's a nice list of ways one can apply Amazon S3, but why choose their service over others?
As AWS matures, it becomes more reliable and feature rich. Its benefits are many. Here's the cream of the crop:
- Elastic Scaling: Scales when you need it. Never worry about usage caps, only cost.
- Highly Available: Redundant storage, high availability; you'll no longer be the one to worry about the integrity and availability of your potentially precious bounty of data.
- Secure: SSL in motion, encryption at rest.
Great, but how can a service like Fly improve upon Amazon's offering?
Fly is an Application Delivery Network. We make your applications faster and help deliver them securely around the world. When you create an S3 bucket, you choose a single datacenter location. With Fly, your buckets we serve that bucket from a global network of intelligent edge-proxies.
Amazon S3 is likely just one contributing piece within the armada of disparate services that make up your application. Having a centralized point like Fly acting as a delivery network for your users and an API-gateway for your services gives you a powerful and clean way to organize inbound connections. Through one HTTPS load balanced hostname, your users will render your site faster and organizing and scaling your infrastructure will become more manageable... without introducing complexity to your code or servers.
Additionally, any instance of Fly Middleware that you include within your site will automatically be applied to Amazon S3; analytics, HTTPS, white-listing, firewall: whatever you choose to enable. Fly.io is free to signup, and the first 2,000,000 requests and 100GB of transfer every month are free.
Wield an Application Delivery Network
Fly brings the untapped potential of intelligent edge-servers right to your finger-tips. It's a global load balancer, a smart reverse proxy, a library of powerful Middleware; it's a CDN that developers like you control.Free Signup